Do you love bacon cheeseburgers, but not the carbs and calories that come with them?
If so, you will love this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole. It’s a low-carb and easy recipe that tastes just like a juicy and cheesy bacon cheeseburger but without the bun. It’s perfect for a keto diet or anyone who wants a satisfying and comforting meal.
This keto bacon cheeseburger casserole is made with simple and wholesome ingredients, such as ground beef, onion, garlic, cream cheese, bacon, eggs, cream, cheese, mustard, and pickles.
It’s a one-pan dish that is ready in 30 minutes and serves six people. You can enjoy it with a salad and some keto mayonnaise, or with any other low-carb side dish you like.
In this post, I will show you how to make this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole and share some tips and variations to make it even better. Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
There are many reasons to love this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole, but here are some of the main ones:
- It’s keto-friendly and low-carb. This casserole has only 5 grams of net carbs per serving and is high in fat and protein. It will keep you full and satisfied and help you stay in ketosis.
- It’s easy and quick. You only need one skillet, a baking dish, and a few basic ingredients. You don’t need any fancy or expensive equipment or ingredients. You can make this casserole in 30 minutes, from start to finish.
- It’s delicious and comforting. This casserole tastes just like a bacon cheeseburger but in casserole form. It’s cheesy, meaty, and savory, with a hint of sweetness from the pickles. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that everyone will love.
GRAB A FREE COPY
Transform Your Lifestyle with Our Keto Quick Start Guide!
Ready to unlock the secrets of a successful keto journey? Grab your FREE copy of our exclusive ‘Keto Quick Start Guide‘ now and discover the key to lasting wellness and delicious adventures. Whether you’re a keto enthusiast or just starting out, this guide is your essential companion for mastering the basics, overcoming challenges, and savoring every bite of your keto experience.
Why These Ingredients
The ingredients for this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole are simple, but each one plays an important role in the recipe. Here is why I chose these ingredients:
- Ground beef: Ground beef is the main ingredient of this cheeseburger casserole and the base of the cheeseburger flavor. It’s a good source of protein, iron, and zinc. You can use any kind of ground beef you like, but I prefer 80% or 85% lean, as it has more fat and flavor. You can also use ground turkey, chicken, or pork.
- Onion and garlic: Onion and garlic add some aroma and flavor to the ground beef and make it more savory and delicious. You can use fresh or dried onion and garlic, or even onion and garlic powder if you are in a hurry.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese adds some creaminess and richness to the ground beef and helps to bind it together. It also adds some tanginess and cheesiness to the casserole. You can use any kind of cream cheese you like, but I recommend full-fat cream cheese, as it has more fat and flavor. You can also use sour cream.
- Bacon: Bacon is the star of this casserole and the reason why it’s so irresistible. It adds some crunch, saltiness, and smokiness to the casserole and complements the cheese and the beef perfectly. You can use any kind of bacon you like, but I prefer thick-cut bacon, as it has more meat and texture. You can also use ham, sausage, or salami.
- Eggs, cream, and cheese: Eggs, cream, and cheese make up the cheese sauce for this casserole and add some moisture, flavor, and color to it. They also act as a leavening agent and help the casserole rise and puff up. You can use any kind of cheese you like, but I prefer cheddar cheese, as it has a sharp and nutty flavor. You can also use mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese.
- Mustard and pickles: Mustard and pickles add some acidity and sweetness to the casserole and balance out the richness and saltiness of the cheese and the bacon. They also add some texture and color to the casserole and make it more appetizing. You can use any kind of mustard you like, but I prefer yellow mustard, as it has a mild and tangy flavor. You can also use Dijon, honey, or spicy mustard. You can use any kind of pickles you like, but I prefer gherkins, as they have a crisp and crunchy texture. You can also use dill, sweet, or relish pickles.
How to Make This Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
Making this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole is super easy and fun. Here are the steps to follow:
Preparing The Beef Layer
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon pieces until crisp, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and garlic until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until browned and crumbly, breaking it up with a spatula, for about 15 minutes. Drain the excess fat, and return the skillet to the heat.
- Add the cream cheese, salt, and pepper to the ground beef mixture, and stir until well combined and melted, for about 5 minutes. Transfer the beef mixture to the prepared baking dish, and spread it in an even layer. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the beef layer.
Making The Cheese Sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the beef and bacon layer, and spread it in an even layer. Place the pickle slices over the cheese sauce, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake the casserole for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Serving The Low-Carb Bacon Cheeseburger
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into 6 equal pieces.
- Serve the casserole with a green salad and some keto mayonnaise, or any other low-carb side dish you like.
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations to make this keto low-carb bacon cheeseburger casserole even better:
Tip #1: To make this casserole ahead of time, you can prepare the beef and bacon layer, and the cheese sauce separately and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, thaw them in the fridge overnight, then assemble and bake as instructed.
Tip #2: To make this casserole more spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce to the beef or cheese mixture, or sprinkle some jalapeño slices over the top.
Tip #3: To make this casserole more cheesy, you can add some cream cheese, sour cream, or cheese slices to the cheese sauce, or sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top.
Tip #4: To make this casserole more veggie-packed, you can add some spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, or zucchini to the beef mixture, or sprinkle some green onions, parsley, or cilantro over the top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole recipe, and the answers to them:
Can I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon?
Yes, you can use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon, if you prefer a leaner option. However, turkey bacon has less fat and flavor than regular bacon, so you may need to add some oil or butter to the skillet when cooking it, and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Can I use almond flour instead of oat flour?
Yes, you can use almond flour instead of oat flour, if you are allergic to oats or prefer a nuttier flavor. However, almond flour has more fat and calories than oat flour, so you may need to reduce the amount of cheese or cream in the cheese sauce and adjust the baking time accordingly.
Can I make this casserole dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this casserole dairy-free, if you are lactose intolerant or vegan. You can use dairy-free cream cheese, cheese, and cream made from soy, almond, or coconut. You can also use vegan butter or oil instead of butter, and vegan bacon instead of bacon.
If you follow this recipe, I guarantee you’ll make a delicious and easy keto bacon cheeseburger casserole. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you. 😊
Quick and Easy Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
The Beef Layer
- 1 onion quartered and sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 750 g ground/mince beef
- 60 g cream cheese full fat
- 3 slices bacon diced
- Salt/pepper to taste
The Cheats Cheese Sauce
- 3 eggs – medium
- 125 ml heavy cream
- 100 g shredded/grated cheese
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 gherkins/pickles sliced
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 50 g shredded/grated cheese to sprinkle over
Making The Beef Layer
- Fry the bacon pieces until cooked then remove and set aside.3 slices bacon diced
- Fry the onion, garlic and beef until thoroughly cooked.1 onion quartered and sliced, 1 clove garlic crushed, 750 g ground/mince beef
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir through the cream cheese.Salt/pepper to taste
- Pour the beef layer into the baking dish. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over.
Making The Cheats Cheese Sauce
- Mix the eggs, cream, shredded/grated cheese, mustard, salt and pepper together. Pour the cheese sauce over the beef and bacon.60 g cream cheese full fat, 3 eggs – medium, 125 ml heavy cream, 100 g shredded/grated cheese, 2 Tbsp mustard, Salt/pepper to taste
- Place slices of gherkins/pickles all over the top then cover with the remanning shredded/grated cheese.2 gherkins/pickles sliced, 50 g shredded/grated cheese to sprinkle over
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and crispy. Serve with salad and 1 minute mayonnaise.